- Makes 8 servings
- Prep time is between 5 and 10 minutes if you're cutting the veggies and meat
- Cooking time is approx. 1 hour
- "Chopped" as I use it means bite sized pieces.
- If substituting different types of rice, check the package's "stove top" directions for water amount and cooking time needed.
- All veggies I used were from the fresh produce dept. If you're using frozen veggies, allow them to thaw in refrigerator or under cool water before using.
- 1 to 2 lbs. chicken, chopped
- 1/2 sm. onion, sliced into 1/8" slivers
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- approx. 2 tsp "Cajon" seasoning mix, or spices of your choice
- 1 cup Thai Jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup broccoli head, chopped (approx. 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 tomato, chopped (approx 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, condensed, 10.5 oz
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, condensed, 10.5 oz
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 to 2 cups grated cheese of your choice (Mozzarella, Cheddar, Colby Jack are all good choices)
- 9"x13" casserole pan
- Aluminum foil or other means of covering the pan
- 4 quart sauce pan with lid
- Mixing bowl
- Spatula for serving casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit
- Lay out chicken in an even layer along the bottom of the casserole pan
- Layer onion slivers and minced garlic on top, cover with spices
- Cover the casserole pan and place in oven for 40 minutes
Rice & Veggies:While chicken is in the oven,
- Wash the rice
- Combine washed rice, water, broccoli, tomato, and celery in sauce pan (if using canned mushrooms, add now)
- Cover, bring to boil, stirring occasionally
- Allow to boil for 5 minutes
- Turn off heat and, if using fresh mushrooms, add mushrooms now. Rice mixture will be wet, and water may still be present
- Rice mixture should remain covered until chicken is done in oven.
Sauce:While rice is cooking
- Combine the two cans of creamed soup with sour cream in mixing bowl
- Whisk with fork for 2 minutes, until mixture is same color throughout.
- Set aside
- Once chicken is done, leave oven at 400 and remove dish to heat proofed location.
- Add rice & veggies, using fork to "fluff" the rice as it comes out of the sauce pan. Ensure there is a 1/2" of clearance between food levels and the casserole rim
- Pour sauce mixture over the rice layer
- With fork, gently mix ingredients to ensure even distribution of the sauce.
- Cover with cheese
- Return dish to oven for 15 minutes or until cheese starts to brown.
Let rest until cool enough to handle sides of the pan and serve.